Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Passed Out Cold

This is a story about how NOT to impress your daughters friend. Last night when I got home from work my daughter told me that her friend Marc (who is going to school to be an EMT, this will come in handy later in my story) from Show Low was coming over and could I make a nice dinner, so I looked in my recipe book and planned a dinner of: Chicken Cordon Bleu, baked potatoes, salad, vegetables and rolls. I got the chicken and potatoes in the oven and set about making the vegetables. In the process of cutting the carrots I cut my thumb. I thought it was just a little cut until I ran it under water and looked at it. I had taken a huge chunk out of it. So I wrapped it up and cussed myself for being dumb. Gary came home shortly after, looked at the thumb and said it needed stitches, but the doctors now days are using super glue in place of stitches. Novel idea don't you think? The kids came in and I showed them my wound, they were very impressed. Gary ran to the store to get some glue. While he was gone I visited with Marc about his EMT class and experiences. We had a great visit. When Gary returned home, with the glue, the bleeding had finally stopped and dinner was almost ready. Gary took me to the bathroom to begin the mending. Now you have to understand with Gary being an EMT, I am used to guts, gore, blood and all the stories about it, but for some reason when he began to glue that thumb, I started to get dizzy. I remember turning to put my head in a towel and the next thing I remember was hearing Gary calling my name. Gary said that I told him I was going to rub off some of the glue that was running down my thumb, I don't remember that part. He went to put the lid back on the glue and the next thing he knew I was hitting the shower door and falling to the floor. He was doing his best to try to catch me but it all happened too fast. The kids heard the noise and Kelsey came to see what had fallen. She found her Dad leaning next to me on the floor. Apparantly my eyes rolled in the back of my head at that point and I quit breathing. Gary yelled for Marc to come and help (this is where his EMT schooling came in handy) and asked him to call 911 and help him, he was going to start CPRand mouth to mouth. He bent down and was about to begin when I began coming to. I felt like I was walking in a black hall way and couldn't figure out what had happened. They stood me up, on legs that felt like jello, and sat me in a chair. Gary told Marc to keep an eye on me while he ran to the airport to get some oxygen. I was, they say, white as a sheet. After giving me some oxygen they put me on the bed and Marc took my bloodpressure and checked my breathing which was still pretty shallow. I lifted my hand and found that my thumb and finger were glued together!!! That was a blast to pull apart. But aside from that I was just so embarrased that I had caused such a scene in front of Marc. He was very cool about it and said it just gave him some " real life experience". Sure glad I could help with that, I guess. Anyway I think I have a slight concussion from hitting the floor so hard. You know when you are old you don't fall as gracefully as when you are young. I sure was grateful for all the help that I got though, and Marc said he really enjoyed the entertainment.

P.S. We are still catching skunks. I swear you'd think we were running a skunk farm around here!

4 comments:

Emilee said...

Ok lady, what are you doing? I am begining to wonder if we need to hire someone to check on you often;) I have to say I had to chuckle to myself as I was reading until I got to the part where you quit brething, not so funny MOM!!! I may not have passed out cold, but the other day when we were working on the room I missed the last step of the stairs and biffed it and almost landed in Dallas' lap. I had to laugh because of his face as I was going down. So shout out for those who can't stay on their feet!!!

Kelsey said...

I agree with Emilee!! You too need someone by your side at all times it sounds like! Haha

Trish said...

Wow,quite the drama in your life! Skunks, passing out, super gluing your thumb and finger together. So what can you do next to surpass this! Glad you have good people around to take care of you!

The Lovell's said...

Hi- This is Celeste Hancock(Lovell)...I found your blog on Sharla's...your blog is so funny! I love it!!! Man if we need entertainment we're going to come to your house. Hope you guys are doing good.