Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Keeping Up With The "Young ones"

On Saturday March 15, 2009 Gary took his wildland fire pack test. He had to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes wearing a 45 pound pack on his back. We dropped off the fire fighters at the top of Grover's Hill. They had to walk the 3 miles to the Catholic Church. There were 7 firefighters that began the walk. I drove the ambulance to various spots along the path and told the walkers how much time they had left and encouraged them to keep going. I know what your thinking, but someone had to do it! I of course took my camera to take pictures of Gary with the pack on. When I got in position to take the picture, I found that my camera was dead!! I was so mad. I went down to the Catholic church to write in times of the walkers. I am proud to say that Gary can still out do the young ones. He came in 2nd!! I was so proud of him. One of the walkers had to be carried to the finish line. They were all laid out on the sidewalk in front of the church. People began coming over to see what in the world was going on. It was not a sight you see everyday. Once they pass the test they receive a certificate and can then work on wildland fires.

PS: 9 skunks and 2 cats later, we think we are finally free of the "stinky" problem!!!!