Saturday, June 25, 2011

Thoughts on Aging

I used to think that aging couldn't be that bad. One of our airport bums used to tell me that there was nothing good about growing old to which I would reply "You get to retire and do the things you want to do, you answer to no one and you get to sleep in everyday" He would repeat "There is nothing good about growing old". As I grow older it seems that he was right. The worse part of aging is that the mind doesn't age like the body. My mind thinks I can weed the garden, mow the lawn, clean the whole house, do laundry and have a nice meal on the table. When I do it my body soon rebels and then I am down for the next day. So I guess my mind has to turn to the accomplishments of my 52 years. I don't have anything fancy that I can talk about but I can say that there are some things I am pretty proud of.
1. I married a wonderful man. We have spent 31 wonderful years together. We have been through some pretty hard things and have done it together. Our greatest strength is that we love doing things together.
2. I have 4 wonderful daughters. They are all beautiful, healthy and doing well. What more could I ask for.
3. I have 3 sons pretty amazing son-in-laws. They are good to my daughters and that is all I can ask. I love them tons.
4. I have 6 of the most amazing grandchildren. I love spending time with each of them. My only wish is that I could be with them each and every day. I learn so much from them.
5. I have a job that I love. It is challenging and insists that I keep growing and learning. It has taught me a lot about myself and a ton about leadership.
6. I have worked with the youth for a good part of my life and I am proud of the work I have done. I have a good relationship with them. It is a memory I will forever cherish.
I may not have a fancy house, cars or vacations but I have what is important, a great family! President Hinkley said that when we are old and sitting on our front porches it won't matter the house we lived in or the cars we drove, it will only matter how our families are doing and if they are on the road back to our Heavenly Father. He was so right.

No comments: